Our hotline is here for you 24 hours a day/7 days a week: Dial 211
Latest News

Jack Frost Treats

Published: Friday, January 06, 2012
By: Taylor Myers, Kaplan Early Learning Company.

What’s better than real snowflakes? Edible ones! Create a scrumptious winter snack with this recipe from Mary Ann Kohl, a member of the Barnes and Noble Parents’ Expert Circle and the author of Snacktivities. All it takes is a few, simple ingredients. The instructions are easy to follow, and your young ones can do most of the work.

Jack Frost TreatsIngredients:

  • 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
  • 3 tablespoons meringue powder
  • 6 tablespoons warm water
  • Edible glitter or decorative sugar sprinkles


  • Baking sheet
  • Wax paper
  • Large bowl
  • Electric mixer
  • Pastry bag (Number 10 Point)
  • Paintbrush
  • Spatula
  • Nylon thread (optional)


1. Cover the baking sheet with wax paper. Set aside.

2. Place the confectioners’ sugar, meringue powder and water in a large bowl. Beat the sugar mixture on low speed with the electric mixer until well mixed. Turn the electric mixer up to high and beat the mixture for up to 7 minutes or until stiff peaks form.

3. Spoon the sugary mixture into the pastry bag.

4. Make snowflake designs, each about the size of a walnut, on the wax paper-covered baking sheet.

5. Dip the paintbrush in water and very lightly paint water over each snowflake. Sprinkle the glitter or sugar sprinkles over the snowflakes before the water dries.

6. Let the snowflakes dry. Carefully remove the snowflakes from the wax paper with a spatula.

7. Very carefully, tie a thread to each snowflake and hang, if desired.

Brought to you by The Early Childhood Initiative Foundation and United Way Center for Excellence in Early Education

We're always here for you: 211
Copyright © 2001-2009 All rights reserved. | Terms of Use | Site maintained by PC Depot!
Information in this site is intended for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional. Please review the "Terms of Use and Copyright" before using this site.